Compounding pharmacists focus on meeting special needs. This may involve compounding an eye drop in a sterile compounding lab, an injection for impotency, preparing medications for veterinarians in a variety of dosage forms and flavors, providing natural alternatives in hormone replacement therapy, or assisting physicians in treating hospice patients. At Mixtures, we provide the following compounding services:
Click a service to learn more:
- Coronary heart disease
- Insulin resistance (type II diabetes)
- Degenerative arthritis
- Degenerating body composition
- Immune system decline
- Loss of libido and sexual function
This fast growing segment of medicine is dedicated to the belief that the aging process can be slowed, stopped or even reversed through medical and technological interventions. Licensed practitioners design treatment for patients to replenish hormones depleted by normal aging and restore them to youthful levels. Some examples of different hormone levels measured using serum (blood) or salivary testing are:
Anti-aging and hormone replacement therapy can be initiated using:
- Oral (capsules)
- Transdermal (creams, gels)
- Sublingual (lozenges, oral drops, troches)
- Intravaginal (creams, suppositories)
Another group of products used in anti-aging medicine are purported to enhance cognitive response and memory. These medications are called nootropics or “smart” drugs. Nootropic is Greek and means “acting on the mind”. These drugs can be used alone or in conjunction with each other. Some examples of nootropics are as follows:
- Topical anesthetics
- Dry socket mixtures
- Root canal paste
- Plaque removal solutions
- Plaque disclosure solutions
- Oral rinses
- Bleaching gels
- Crown preps
See our FAQ for a list of dosage forms and information about flavoring.
- Capsules: Extended release formulations
- Dauber Bottle: Ideal for liquid preparations
- Emollient Cream: Helpful for dermatological conditions
- Gummy Gels & Chewable forms: great with kids
- Inhalation Devices
- Lip Balm Applicators: Super for spot application
- Lollipops: Convenient dosage form for extended delivery and local effect
- Opthalmic Preparations: Oral Syringes, Improve dosing accuracy
- Otic Medications: PLO Transdermal Gel, Great alternative to oral forms
- Popsicles: Great alternative, especially during summer
- Troches & Lozenges that dissolve in the mouth
Our pharmacists understand that each patient has special needs, and unique likes and dislikes. That is why we have a choice of many flavors and colors to match to customize medications. We want to make it easy for everyone (children, adults, and even animals) to take needed medications as directed.
The patient can choose from one of our 150 different flavors (watermelon, root beer, grape, raspberry, etc.). We can also flavor medication for your 4-legged family member. Working together with your doctor, we can even change the dosage form from a liquid to a “gummy square,” lollipop, freezer pop or lozenge!
Many times, as people age or develop a chronic illness, their taste preferences can change. Sweetness may no longer be tolerable. Coffee or bitter flavors, or perhaps no flavor at all may be more pleasing. We compound dosage forms that make it easier to take medication while at school or traveling, such as chewable troches or lozenges that will not require refrigeration! Talk to our pharmacists and see what we can do for you.
Our team of compounding pharmacists work closely with physicians and pain management specialists to create personally tailored medications. Knowing that a properly compounded narcotic capsule or topical pain relieving gel has little, if any, street value may further convince your physician that this may be a solution that would work for you. “First, do no harm” is the unspoken motto of most healthcare practitioners. With specially compounded topical medications, you get the medicine in higher concentrations where it is needed and very little of the drug actually reaches the rest of the body. It is possible to greatly reduce or eliminate the typical side effects of medications taken orally. Since this type of prescription is custom-made in a pharmacy laboratory for a specific patient, there is a great deal of flexibility of the types and amounts of medicine that go into the cream or gel. Successful pain management requires a team approach between the patient, their healthcare provider and an expert compounding pharmacist with experience in pain management. Because no treatment works for everyone, with this approach, we are able to customize the cream or gel to one that works best for the patient. Compounding has many new options for patients and physicians. If you have questions about what our compounding pharmacy can do for you, please contact us.
Here are some suggestions of what we can do:
- Sugar-free medications for diabetic pets
- Concentrated solutions for birds and reptiles
- Transdermal gels as an alternative delivery system
- Hard-to-find medications for urinary incontinence
- Good tasting flavored antibiotic suspensions
Let us know how we can help you and the animals in your care!